“.OFX” or “.QFX” for Quicken
- QFX files are "Quicken OFX" files
- QFX files are not OFX files
QFX files are not OFX files. When you install Quicken on your computer, you will see QFX files described as "Quicken OFX" files. This is a great misunderstanding, as Quicken does not import OFX files at all, and imports QFX files only (also, Quicken has to be at not older than three years to import QFX files, and Quicken imports QIF files). Video below explains the confusion about QFX and OFX files.
Short answer for OFX or QFX: QFX
Why? Short answer: Quicken does not import OFX files (even if it says it does).
- If you are looking to convert CSV or Excel files to QFX format, use the CSV2QFX converter.
- To convert PDF files to QFX format, use the PDF2QFX converter.
- Use the QIF2QFX converter, when you need to convert QIF to QFX format.
- Quicken does not import OFX, and to convert OFX to QFX, use the OFX2QFX converter.
- For multiple formats conversion (QBO, QFX, OFX, QIF or to correct non-importable QFX file) to QFX format, use the Bank2QFX converter.
Quicken imports QFX files (not .OFX) and calls them “Quicken OFX files.” From Quicken point of view, Quicken should import OFX as it calls QFX files “Quicken OFX files.” In reality, Quicken imports QFX files only, and QFX files are EXTENDED OFX files. It means QFX files follow OFX specification and have ADDITIONAL ATTRIBUTES that Quicken looks for when it imports a QFX or an OFX file.
Alternatives for QFX format for Quicken
- If you are using Quicken for PC, a great and working alternative is the QIF format. Quicken for PC imports correctly prepared QIF files fine. Quicken 2017 imports QIF files fine, Quicken versions from 2005 to 2014 import QIF files fine.
- If you happened to be a Quicken for Mac (2015-2017) user, there is a possibility to import CSV Mint files (files similar to CSV files exported from Mint). CSV2CSV converts your Excel or CSV files to “CSV Mint” files.
What about QXF format?
QXF format adds to this confusion, as it looks very similar to QFX. Even more, your autocorrect may switch QXF to QFX or QFX to QXF as you type, so if you ask a support question, you may get an unexcepted answer. QXF format is not for transaction import, but for data transfer: you will replace your whole dataset in Quicken when you get a QXF file successfully imported.
Backup before any import
Safety first: make sure to backup your Quicken file before any import: QFX, QIF, QXF or even OFX.